[TenTec] Orion2 Firmware Update

Martin Ewing martin.s.ewing at gmail.com
Thu Apr 15 20:09:09 PDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 9:15 PM, Wes Attaway (N5WA) <
wesattaway at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Going back to Sam's comments, and to yours, I have to wonder why the
> firmware and associated documentation notes would be proprietary.  The
> Orions plowed some new ground as far as amateur radio is concerned but I
> can't see that there was any brand new technology involved.

We can't know for sure unless someone comments from TT, but I assume that
the Orion software is built using a commercial software framework or set of
libraries that cannot legally be copied, and which you or I would not want
to license -- or duplicate.  The development tools (IDE or whatever) may be
restricted. Then there is the possibility that TT thinks there is a "secret
sauce" in there with great proprietary value to the company.

Or maybe they don't want to reveal some awful spaghetti code. :-)

73
Martin AA6E