[TenTec] Orion2 Firmware Update

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson geraldj at weather.net
Sat Apr 17 10:15:28 PDT 2010

Yet one of the problems with the Orion II is limited memory and
processor capability, compounded for the Orion with less of each. Where
the desired PC for a Flex radio has a gigabyte or two of ram with a CPU
running with a 2.5 or 3+ GHz clock speed, with a dedicated processor for
the video (think gaming computer) and a 32 or 64 bit memory interface,
preferably 64 bit. It might be that one option for Orions could be an
analog interface to the external PC with I and Q from the detectors for
the sweep section or after all the filters at 14 kHz audio so the Flex
radio (as well as other codes) could be applied in the station PC. Thus
enabling far greater computer power than the embedded hardware. Its
likely the limits of the embedded hardware that make things interact in
new versions of the firmware and that make correcting and adding so very
difficult. The fast PC could then control the Orion through the
conventional serial interface.

73, Jerry, K0CQ