[TenTec] Subrx dsp filtering problem introduced in Orion v2 firmware

Barry N1EU barry.n1eu at gmail.com
Sat Apr 24 05:13:28 PDT 2010

I made two simple recordings illustrating the subrx cw filter "blowby"
introduced in the v2 firmware of the Orion.  Hopefully, Ten-Tec can
fix the problem on the Orion 1 firmware (don't know if the problem
exists on the Orion II).

I waited until now to make these recordings because there's lately
some hopeful signs of firmware development  (PLEASE don't forget us
Orion I users).

In these recordings, I slowly tune +/-10Khz across an s9 carrier.  BW
is 500hz.  There is clearly all kinds of blowby well above 500hz being
passed by the v2 subrx dsp filtering.  Please ignore all the other
spurious clicks and tones and tx phase noise.

http://n1eu.com/orion/1_373b5.mp3
http://n1eu.com/orion/2_062a.mp3

This is the problem that makes it impossible for me to use the v2
Orion in diversity mode on the lowbands where there are plenty of
strong local signals present.  The v1 Orion subrx doesn't have the
problem.  This was one step backwards taken with v2 firmware that
hopefully will get corrected.

73,
Barry N1EU