[TenTec] OMNI VII vs. K3 ? Opinions invited.

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Sat Apr 24 10:32:37 PDT 2010

> A minor negative for the K3 is the internal speaker, which is small and
> not
> great.

Jim, the K3 speaker itself is actually not too bad and has a decent-sized
diaphragm and magnet driver.  The problem is with the way the speaker mounts
to the cabinet.  A simple baffle would eliminate the short-circuiting of the
back-wave.  That is THE reason why the stock K3 speaker sounds so "thin."

My favorite speaker with any Com radio is either the Realistic Minimus 7 or
11 -- the only R/S products I own.  I've owned the Omni VII and K3 at the
same time.  When using the Minimus 7, the audio quality between both rigs
sounded identical to me.

Paul, W9AC