[TenTec] OMNI VII vs. K3 ? Opinions invited.

Ken Brown ken.d.brown at hawaiiantel.net
Sat Apr 24 13:25:23 PDT 2010

> Since you've already used the K2, you'll find the user interface pretty
> intuitive. I did. Users of some other rigs have a bit more trouble learning
> it, but once they do, it is quite user friendly and VERY flexible.
I do not own a K3. My experience with a K3 has been using someone else's
in contests. I have found the controls to be very non-intuitive. Often I
have pushed a button which did something completely unexpected, and
could not recover without assistance from the owner of the radio. I
found the best thing to do is just make QSOs with the K3 operating as
the last operator left it. Perhaps using some of the knobs, but avoiding
the buttons.

I'm sure that a few hours of casual operation (not in a contest) with
the aid of the manual, would help a lot. I have not yet had that
opportunity. I suppose it is not possible to have the capability and
flexibility of a K3 AND have clearly marked controls that function as
their labels clearly state in a package the size of a K3. It would be
nice if it was easy to undo whatever a control has done, simply by using
the same control again. Perhaps that is the case and I just haven't
learned how.

I do not agree that the K3 user interface is intuitive.

DE N6KB