[TenTec] OMNI VII vs. K3 ? Opinions invited.

Richards jruing at ameritech.net
Sat Apr 24 16:05:07 PDT 2010

> Thought I would go for the O7, but most of my friends are pushing me towards
> the K3.

		A lot of damage has been done in the cause of peer
		pressure.   Many guys will merely advice you to get
		whatever works for them, and it is difficult to find an
		unbiased opinion based on feature set, 	ergonomics,
		specifications, performance, and appearance.  Yes...
		even its appearance is important as you gotta look at
		it every day you use it.  	(My wife thought the Omni VII
		looked best to her... as she thought it looked more modern.)

		She also agreed I should spend the slightly extra cost to
		get the Omni VI because I could easily explain the
		specifications and feature set, and she agreed the menu
		system is more straightforward to use.  We looked at
		how different radios accomplished a list of the same things
		and (even though she is not a ham) we could both quickly
		see how each rig worked, and which were easier to adjust
		in the heat of battle.   If she could understand it, it must
		be clear.   If she could not easily adjust it herself, then
		we could see it was more obscure and difficult to
		do - often because there was more to it.

		There was a side benefit to this... not only did I learn how
		each rig worked as we figured it out, but she became
		interested and invested in the purchase decision and
		it was easier for her to accept.

		Not that I need her permission... but if we could both
		quickly how something was easier, better, or had better
		performance specs, then it became clear what rig was
		most straightforward to operate in practice - like when
		you are in a hurry to break the pileup, or catch the rare
		DX or adjust a setting in a contest.

> I tested the Omni VII extensively in Germany 3 years ago and am very
> familiar with it.
>
> I absolutely fell in love with it.

		Follow YOUR heart, not your friend's hearts.

		Did you marry the girl you Mom picked out for you?

owned a Orion I...
> I liked the Omni VII better for its ergonomics and smaller size.

		You have already made up you mind and are looking
		for validation.   Order it Monday.

> I have owned two  K2s,  so I am familiar with its ergonomics, features, and
> short comings.
>
> I assume the K3 will be similar.

		 In fairness... maybe not, -- I RECOMMEND GETTING THE
		OPERATOR'S MANUAL AND READING IT ALONGSIDE THE
		OMNI VII MANUAL, AND SEE HOW EACH RIG DOES THE
		SAME LIST OF ADJUSTMENTS.   Pick the rig that looks
		like it works the way you do.   And yet, be open to new
		ways of skinning the cat.

		I have a good friend  (my contest mentor) who loves his
		K3 - and says great things about the Omni VII - which we
		all used in the 160 M contest in February.   They are both
		good rigs.   Pick the one you want on your desk every day
		based on how it works for you.   Run through the same
		procedures on each  (in your mind reading the manuals)
		and compare them.   The right pick will emerge from a
		thorough comparison.

		Remember do not let peer pressure sway you... follow
		you heart  (as long as it also follows ours, and in spite of
		the fact we will curse your soul, ostracize and harass
		you if you pick the wrong one.....   ;-)

> I have never even seen a K3 and don't know anyone locally who has one.
>
> Open for opinions but please don't flame each other, guys!

		Read the manuals and work through how each works
		and it will soon become clear which is the easier,
		more intuitive radio to use.   Pick that one.

=======  Just MY take, anyway.... K8JHR  =====================