[TenTec] OMNI VII vs. K3 ? Opinions invited.,

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson geraldj at weather.net
Sun Apr 25 10:16:46 PDT 2010

By traditional you mean the coupled wire like a monomatch? Commonly used
for CB meters. It is directional because it combines capacitive and
inductive coupling and produces a DC output proportional to voltage and
current, e.g. watts. Same as the type made by slipping a wire under the
braid. I've used that style to measure loss in a shorted transmission
line by comparing forward to reflected power and came up with value that
matched the coax cable loss tables. I can't subscribe to the voltage
only premise. The inexpensive meters don't have as fine a directivity to
show zero reflected with a perfect 50 ohm load but get in the ball park.
I have a Collins prototype that has functioned perfectly fine on an
antenna tuner for more than 45 years, though it was rejected because the
shielding wasn't adequate to reach the directivity they desired. The
production coupler does meet their wants for 30 dB directivity. On an
ordinary meter less directivity is adequate for my radios.

There are no pass through pseudo wattmeters with directivity that depend
solely on voltage. There have been Bird loads that only measure voltage,
but are calibrated in watts, but then those termalines are a standard of
reference of what a good 50 ohm load should be.

73, Jerry, K0CQ