[TenTec] OMNI VII vs. K3 ? Opinions invited.,

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson geraldj at weather.net
Sun Apr 25 17:24:35 PDT 2010

I too, picked up the Corsair II for use with transverters. So far I
haven't any transverters to fit. I was looking closely at Omni V or VI
but didn't like their going to LSB for CW on 28 MHz which disrupts VHF
contest operation where mode switches and mixed mode contacts are
common. The external VFO should be a nice option giving dual receive if
desired within the same band anyway. On the way to transverters, I found
the FT-857D and traded TS-130 and my dad's TS-440 in on one and its
compact, hears well, has a super noise blanker, and is fairly convenient
to operate. When on SSB one menu option allows CW with no mode
switching, just start sending CW with key. Except I found last summer
that it stays on USB for CW, a menu selection, even when listening to
LSB on 75 or 40.

Long long ago I made 2m contacts in the St. Louis area with a borrowed
portable using a super regen receiver, then later I bought a Heathkit
twoer with super regen receiver.

All my antennas are down, working on moving. I'm not sure what I'll be
using in the new hamshack or exactly where in the house or machine shed
it will be.

73, Jerry, K0CQ