[TenTec] Orion II 15 m CW Transmit Power Fluctuation

Kimberly Elmore cw_de_n5op at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 28 09:51:41 PDT 2010

Thanks, Ron and Jim!

Last in, first out: Ron, the problem persists even at reduced power settings.

I'll open it up and take a careful look while gently poking and prodding. I don't recall seeing this before, but I haven't been very active on 15 m, so I can't be sure. I'll check more carefully for this on 17 m. I'm with you, in that because I see it both on an antenna and with a dummy load on a short cable, with no apparent difference in severity, I'm reluctant to settle on RFI. But, that being said...

Jim, if I read your post correctly, your concern is that the braid of all interconnecting coaxial cable (not just the transmission line) must be connected to the chassis. I haven't looked -- is this not the case with the O II? If so, then I take it your recommendation is to make sure every shield entering the rig is also physically connected to the chassis? The number of cables is most certainly finite, so if that needs to be done, I can certainly tackle it.

73,

Kim Elmore N5OP