[TenTec] Ten-Tec Rig Comparisons

Steve Halliburton wa2soc at hsix.com
Thu Apr 29 11:42:59 PDT 2010

I have had my Corsair for more than 25 years and never
found an issue with the audio.  The most common reason
people think the receiver is noisy is that they run the RF
gain too high.  Use the minimum possible RF gain that
allows you to hear the desired signal and you will find
that the Corsair can hear things almost nothing else can.
Obviously, you also use the tightest filter you can for
the situation; I normally use the 250Hz filter whenever possible.

I have the Corsair, an O6/3 and an O7.  With the DSP off
in the two newer radios, the Corsair is the quietest of the bunch.
The O6/3 with the roofing filter mod is a little better in very tight
situations with strong adjacent signals, but overall I think the Corsair
compares very well to the other two.

I seldom work anything other than CW, but the few times I've
used the Corsair on SSB almost every contact tells me how
good it sounds.  A few years ago I used it for field day and
even in the midst of that other operators were taking the time
to make that comment.

Whatever problem other people may hear in the Corsair audio,
I sure don't.  The only TT radio I have that I think has any audio
problem is the Scout.  That hiss gets annoying very quickly.

73 Steve WA2SOC