[TenTec] Ten-Tec Rig Comparisons

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson geraldj at weather.net
Fri Apr 30 19:03:30 PDT 2010

The Sherwood list is the most comprehensive, making measurement details
that ARRL has only adopted recently (compared to the age of a Triton or
Corsair).

Some of the early Tentecs used direct conversion receivers which limited
their performance by any standards. I'm recalling those were the Century
models. The don't perform well enough to make the Sherwood cut.

I think PTOs from the first radios with IFs up through the Corsair II
were so identical the same rebuild kit fits each. Filters are the same
because the frequencies are all the same (5 MHz PTO, 9 MHz IF). Some of
the earlier rigs didn't include WARC bands and them when they first
included them as options (before the bands became available) some used
an 9 MHz mixed PTO with a 9 MHz IF to get to 18 MHz and the second
harmonic of the two mixer inputs tended to leak out to the antenna,
especially the oscillator drive. But that kept SSB1 as USB. The cure for
that was to mix the PTO to 27 MHz but that inverted the sideband
selection on 18 Mhz..

There have been continuous progressions in the number of filters
possible and in bandpass tuning with the added 6.3 MHz IF and filters.
The Paragon was much more digital with synthesizers instead of crystal
for band select and PTO and was the first to have continuous coverage
possible, I think. The Omni V and VI use a UHF synthesizer divided down
to 5 MHz for the PTO and crystals for the band selects but only include
band pass filters for ham bands. No continuous coverage provisions.

Now the Scout is in a class by itself with different frequencies for IFs
and filters and method of bandswitching and minimal controls for mobile use.

There are some pages with pictures and some specifictions without the
performance measurements or opinions of the Sherwood list. Those could
be your raw material to be enhanced by searching out user opinions and
mods. Sometimes mods have been collected on certain web pages.

73, Jerry, K0CQ