[TenTec] Argosy 525

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson geraldj at weather.net
Sun Aug 1 16:07:11 PDT 2010

I think the tentec of that era that preceded the Corsair and Corsair II
that used a double gate mosfet mixer rather than a diode ring and super
sturdy RF and IF amp stages didn't do as well in strong signals. Though
if the diodes for the switching diodes were poorly chosen their loss
could cause the band pass filters to be narrowed and those very diodes
to not handle strong signals. They shouldn't have affected drift,
possible that's the PTO in need of lubrication or rebuild.

You don't need all the available RF gain on 80 and 40 and you make it a
lot easier on the receiver by backing off on the RF gain control so it
can handle the static crashes much better.

The wrong diodes will not improve the diode switches. True PIN diodes
work measureably better than 1N4007 and 1N4007 work better than 1N914.
There was an article about that in VHF Communications years ago that I
found on an New Zealand ham's web page (I do have the original magazine
too). http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~jaking/TS-940_02.htm#_Toc155846465

Googling intermod in switching diodes turned up many ham and deep
technical references.

73, Jerry, K0CQ