[TenTec] [Fwd: Line Isolator Balun (sorta) question.]

Jim Lowman jmlowman at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 6 09:38:14 PDT 2010

Background -

QST Magazine, and various commercial entities, tout the benefits of a
1:1 line-isolation balun - sometimes simply made by slipping a number of
ferrite beads over the coax feed lime. and securing them with heat
shrink tubing.   (e.g., Palomar Engineers, BuxCom, and other vendors
sell these as an inexpensive kit.)

Several articles and commercial vendors suggest using line isolation
baluns ( which are often made of ferrite beads)   on  feed lines in the
shack - including the short jumper cables running between rig and amp,
and between amp and tuner,  and so forth.

Questions -

1)   What if I put those ferrite beads on ALL my coax jumper cables as
they run between rig and amp and tuner ?   Any downside to this ?

2)   What if I installed those beads on outside coax cables, at the feed
point, as suggested in the many articles I have read.   Any downside to
this ?

3)  What if I do both  1)  and   2)...   and install them all over the
place ?

              THANKS in advance for your insight.