[TenTec] Headphones for ORION I?

Joe Roberts jroberts at io.com
Wed Aug 11 17:31:28 PDT 2010

On 8/11/2010 8:02 PM, Jim Brown K9YC wrote:
> Almost everything in this email is wrong.

Yes and no. After trying MANY MANY headphones, I settled on a 300 ohm
RACAL/Astrolite aviation headset, 300 ohm Telephonics TDH-39
audiometer/aviation phones, and good old 300 ohm Western Electric ANB-H1
WWII style cans on an HB-7 headband for all of my modern IC chip amp radios.

In the latter two cases, the 300 ohm elements are in parallel for 150
ohms mono.

These give me the best combination of sensitivity and frequency
response...that is moderate sensitivity and restricted frequency response.

I have had Sennheisers, fancy Beyerdynamics, Sony MDR-7505, etc hooked
up but the hi-fi frequency response is hard to take with most radios,
especially on a noisy band or with IF/AF hiss in the equation.

The cans I mention above are communications bandwidth or a bit better
(TDH-39s are good to maybe 7k) but strike me as very low distortion and
provide highly intelligible sound.

So I am with Stuart in going for the higher-Z old school headphones and
leaving the MDR-7505s for my kid to play World of Warcraft on the PC.

The only way to know how they'll jive with a given radio is to hook them
up. On the whole, though, I can skip the hi-fi headphones for HF.

Joe N5KAT