[TenTec] Original Orion Firmware

Anthony Bowyer adb1x1 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 17 06:40:31 PDT 2010

John,

   I currently use 2.063Xg, mostly because it saves a bit more VFO/Filter info
than other versions. I do not use the sweep function since I see little real use
in it. I'm sure some would disagree, but this is my opinion.

   As far as signal handling however, I much prefer 1.373b5.

   DSP NR and NB function poorly in V2.x as compared to ver 1.373b5. The dynamic
adjustment of the NR and it's ability to actually aid in making a signal more
readable is by far one of the best DSP implementaions I have seen. It was able
to reduce noise and make even 'digital' signals much more 'copyable'. The V2.x
versions I''ve tried reduce noise, the sginal (esp digital signals) and impart
more artifacts than 1.373b5; very 'mirky' and not very useful for weak signals,
esp CW; tends to make them harder to copy.

   I emailed you some info regarding Cat command issues as well as needed
support for functions available from the front panel but not implemented in Cat,
with a link to Martin Ewing's (AA6E) excellent list of commands with issues and
suggested additions, so I will not repeat those here.

   I have to echo the issues of Spot and Sidetone volume concerns. It would make
sense to seperate these levels from the main volume adjustment. The sidetone
control also controls spot volume, but during operation, if you use spot, you
wind up having to adjust the control (as well as the main volume control), tune,
then readjust the control for sidetone volume. While superficial logic says
these are related, they aren't directly related, so it seems the best thing to
do woudl be to:

1. Divorce sidetone and spot volume from the main volume control. (Might be a
hardware limitation here)
2. Have seperate adjustments for sidetone and spot volume. Sidetone volume could
remain as it is (but not subject to the main volume control). Spot could be done
in a way similar to the way CW Center frequency adjustment can be modified by
pressing Spot and turning the Main VFO encoder, except in this case, make it the
Main Volume encoder (adjust Spot volume).

  One issue I've not seen listed, but it is a very definite problem for anyone
using the internal keyer, is the lack of charater space scaling with speed
change. Recording a message at say 20 wpm and increasing speed to 30, causes
eggagerated character spacing (20 wpm spacing at 30 wpm).

  I have noted several display update issues. The "*" used to indicate a message
in a saved buffer will sometimes not be displayed, even though there are
messages in these buffers. I'm not sure of the exact sequence of events that
causes this problem, but I have seen it on several occasions. Also, at least
with 2.063Xg, a field that has been modifed to allow a greater number of
characters from a previous firmware version, will sometimes leave a display
'artifact', as if the function used to clear the field is not going out far
enough to completely clean up the location.

  I have noted some strange things going on when VFO B is in one mode and A is
in another and when filter bandwidith is changed for A when B is in certain
states. I would have to go through some of the senarios to determine exactly
when this happens and all of the various interplay between modes and bandwidth
settings, but it does happen. This usually happens using Cat to make such
changes and might be due to somnething in the beta version of the firmware
(2.063Xg).

Anthony, K4ZNO