[TenTec] Ten-Tec dealer in OK

geoffrey mendelson geoffreymendelson at gmail.com
Sun Aug 22 08:10:30 PDT 2010

On Aug 22, 2010, at 5:18 PM, Martin wrote:

> ---
> Actually I don't know who is the OK exclusive dealer, I don't care.
> But
> T-T should know that the VAT here is 20% and also the shipping costs
> should be added. The ham radio dealers here are gluttonous and greedy,
> mostly incompetent and buying for list prices like any end-user across
> the pond. Presumed that the manufacturers offer their stuff for dealer
> prices, they should check their price strategies unless they want to
> fall into disreputation.

Martin, as a resident of the county, you should know how it's
government works. Very few countries allow unrestricted imports. I'm
sure yours does not. In order to be sold in the US, Ten-Tec radios
need to pass FCC (a government agency regulation communication)
standards for radiation. The radio must only radiate signals on
specific frequencies and within limits only on the frequency in use.

Parts that connect to the power line must pass certification from the
UL (a private organization) that they fit within safety standards.

That's why the new Ten-Tec cw only QRP rigs are different than the
ones sold by their chinese manufacturer and more expensive, they
needed to be modified and certified before Ten-Tec could sell them in
the US. The ones sold before were imported into Canada by the
manufacturer's brother and privately imported by individual hams, who
then accepted any liability for their failure to meet regulatory
requirements.

Now in OK land, it is the same, but the rules are different.
Electrical certification and possibly radiation limits are certified
by the CE, which is does not actually test units (both the FCC and UL
do), but examine and validate a report from the manufacturer. If the
companies that did the tests passed the certification requirements,
their reports are accepted and the item is approved.

Ten-Tec does not pay for these tests, the local distributer arranges
and pays for  them, files the paperwork and then has to apply to your
government to allow them to be sold. The applications cost money, and
I expect there are processing fees.

The local importer also has to pay, as you pointed out shipping,
customs clearing fees, import licensing fees, etc. They then have to
accept responsibility
for the repairs under warranty and the stocking and sale of spare parts.

Actually it surprises me that with a VAT of 20%, the markup is only 50%.

Here in Israel there are no amateur dealers at all, you either have to
import a radio on your own, which requires the radio wait in customs
(for a daily storage fee), while you get a permit to import it and
then pay 25% import duty  (including VAT), plus customs clearing and
documentation fee. If you want to buy a radio off the shelf as it
were, you can only get units sold for commercial radio, taxi cabs,
etc. The Woxoun VHF/UHF radio which sells for $100 in China, or $150
in the US (with a US warranty) sells for $400 here as a commercial
radio.

IMHO you should be glad there is a Ten-Tec dealer and he only charges
you 50% markup including taxes.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson,  N3OWJ/4X1GM
To help restaurants, as part of the "stimulus package", everyone must