[TenTec] OT: Indoor Antenna

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson geraldj at weather.net
Thu Dec 2 14:51:04 PST 2010

Been there, done that.

Back in 1970 I moved to a rented house in the country on a farm. I knew
there was a wire from the house to the garage to power lights in the
garage and with a three way switch on the house's porch light. I saw
conduit boxes where the wires end into the ground at the house and the
garage. I figured no one would dig more trench than necessary, so
avoided the direct diagonal and started digging a hole directly south of
the box on the house. I wanted to plant a used power pole for my first
antenna support. As I dug, I came to a "root." As I forced my way
through the root the porch light flashed. So I had to splice wires in
the bottom of the pole hole and go dig a new one. That untreated cedar
pole lasted pretty good, I cut it down last fall with a chain saw and
its now in pieces on a pile of pole stubs and they are still OK for
corner fence posts if I get that ambitious. And the porch light still
works, though over the years I ran a new service to the garage to get
substantial 240 for experiments that I didn't want to do in the house
involving 240 volt heaters.

I'll turn the electric bill over to the landlord next week, if it
doesn't snow too much between now and then. All I have to do is haul
half a pickup load of good stuff and fill half a dozen trash cans with
the last trash from the house and garage and I'm moved OUT!

73, Jerry, K0CQ