[TenTec] Titan 425 Major H/L Voltage drop

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson geraldj at weather.net
Thu Dec 2 21:45:43 PST 2010

Your problem reminded me of an amp I fixed remotely for a ham in this
county. In the 425, K7 and the fried resistor are a soft start circuit
that slows the turn on capacitor charging current surge and on the
TenTec schematic it's called the surge relay. K7 is energized from 28
volts DC through a series resistor and a big shunt electrolytic to make
it close after a few seconds. Actually the schematic shows three
resistors in parallel. K7 isn't shorting out R2 so you have that really
lousy voltage regulation and R2 is being burnt up. In Collins rigs the
coil tends to go open on the relay, but the three series resistors could
be nearly open or the electrolytic, C5, shorted, or the relay contacts
damaged. There is a fuse supposed to protect the series resistor, but
you may have put in a larger one. The amp in this county had burned up
the resistor that dissipates a lot more power than its rated but only
for a few seconds so it generally doesn't overheat.

73, Jerry, K0CQ