[TenTec] Eagle Comparison

Zivney, Terry L. 00tlzivney at bsu.edu
Sat Dec 4 09:08:58 PST 2010

I was looking at the Eagle as a possible substitute for my Omni VI+ for a
backup radio for my two Orions.  I know TenTec has posted a mod to
add an external receiver antenna for the Eagle.  But, for my purposes,
the lack of the remote tuning knob/pod is a big deal.  I have grown
extremely fond of the TenTec remote knobs over the years and would
hate to give it up.

Also, what is the logging software interface situation?  For example,
it took a while after the Orion was introduced before the contesting
programs caught up with it.  And, the Jupiter (not in the same class,
but an example) is still not supported by many  contesting programs.
A nice  feature of the Omni VI series was using an existing
(competitors) computer communications commands as the basis,
so that new adopters of the rig could immediately use it in a
contest situation.  So, does the Eagle look like a subset/superset
of the Orion to a logging program, or not?

Terry Zivney, N4TZ/9