[TenTec] Computer Interface

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Mon Dec 6 08:49:59 PST 2010

On 12/5/2010 7:03 AM, Hank Garretson wrote:
> Absolutely none!  Save your money.  Run RS-232 from computer to Omni.  Run
> audio-in and out from Omni to computer sound card.  Build a one-transistor
> CW interface.

YES!  I ran a simple interface like Hank describes with my Omni V with
the N4PY mod, and it worked VERY well.  I used it with WriteLog, but it
would work with any good logging or control program.  All you need is a
cable wired with the right pins on the right connector on both ends. I
also used it with Ham Radio Deluxe.

Study the OmniV manual. For radio control, you only need the wires that
go to pins 2, 3, and 5 on the DB9. To send CW, you also need pin 4 and
pin 5 to the single transistor interface.

See http://audiosystemsgroup.com/HamInterfacing.pdf    This doesn't talk
about the OmniV specifically, but the only difference is that the Omni V
has the older style 25-pin connector. And, of course, set the
logging/control program as Carl recommends.

73, Jim K9YC