[TenTec] was OT: Indoor Antenna: re B&W type terminated dipoles

Jim WA9YSD wa9ysd at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 10 00:50:06 PST 2010

Radiowavz has a terminated dipose that work better than the B&W.

Terminating resister antennas and most wire maltiband antenna usually work well
on the lowest band and maybe one or two other bands higher in freq.  Then it is
time to make up another wire antenna for the next 2 bands or so.  All
compromises for a loss in signal.  Single band wire antennas is the way to go.

The purpose of the terminating resistor is so when your resonate on a band that
is an even multiple of a half the RF does not see it as a short (sort of speak).
 I had used Radio Shack 50 ohm 10 watt dummy load resistors in series.  It did
not work as well as I expected.  So the design of the termination is a key to
make it work.  A loading coil or something else may work better.   B&W
terminators to not hold up to 1KW as advertised they burn out.  They designed it
as layers of resistance with some capacitance as well.  RadioWavz uses a coil
type and holds up much better, I have heard that the high power terminator works
better on low power than with the low power terminator.

I have played with resonate wires floating in the center of a folded dipole.  It
worked much better than a terminated antenna on 4 bands.  How ever trim the
floating wires was very touchy, cut one inch on one end and it is resonate on
desired freq cut another inch or move the last 6 inches over and your out of the
band.

Stay on course, fight a good fight, and keep the faith.  Jim K9TF/WA9YSD