[TenTec] Orion - No Transmit Power

K8JDC K8JDC at sbcglobal.net
Sat Dec 11 16:50:45 PST 2010

Hmmm.  I was using my Orion today and after several hours of use, it
suddenly lost transmit power.  It is actually putting out about 1 watt
on all bands...just enough to see if on a 30W scale external meter.
Here's a quick laundry list of things I have tried:
- Tried power off/power on
- Tried master reset
- Tried battery reset + master reset
- Tried downloading new software (twice)
- Tried more master resets
- Tried more battery resets
- Tried more power off cycles
- Tried all bands
- Tried changing power supply
- Checked the fuse
- Re-seated the power connector on the back of the Orion
- Symptoms are the same into dummy load or antenna
- Symptoms are the same into antenna 1 or antenna 2 connectors
- Amp key loops are off
- Tuner is disabled.  When enabled, it tunes but no power out (only the
1 watt)
- Have cycled the transmitter disable setting
- Have varied the power setting, used the tune button, tried
microphones, etc.  The 1W output is constant regardless of the power
setting...anywhere from 1 to 100 gets 1W out.

Okay, I'm open to ideas.  I didn't hear or detect anything when the
power died.  No clicking, no hot/burning smell...nothing.  I was using
V1.373b5 when it happened so I thought maybe it was a software
flake-out.  I downloaded 2.056 and then 1.372...no joy on either.

Sad.

Dave
K8JDC