[TenTec] Paragon II RS-232 noise

Tom Mandera tsm1 at tmcom.com
Wed Dec 15 09:48:55 PST 2010

>    1. Re: Paragon II RS-232 Port (KA6UUP)
> From: KA6UUP <ka6uup at comcast.net>
> Subject: Re: [TenTec] Paragon II RS-232 Port
>
> The noise is very noticeable. Not faint at all.
> I haven't tried another computer, but, I control my Icom r-75 with
> RS-232 and have notice no interference.
> The cable is an INMAC cable a few years old and may not be well shielded.
> I will try it with my laptop and if it still occurs I will get an RS-232
> to USB cable and try that.
> Tnx es 73, Chuck

I have a Paragon II and I have the serial noise as well.  "Scratch scratch
scratch" every time the computer does anything on the serial line.

It's there on the speaker, it's there on my head phones.

It's there with every serial cable I've tried, on the two or three
different computers I've tried it with (including a laptop).

It's loud enough that it's always annoying, and would make working anyone
less than "armchair" copy rather difficult.

I also tossed aside the RS-232 25-pin cable and went to a CI-V "phone
plug" style cable with integral TTL level converter... and still have the
noise.

The only way to get rid of the noise is to stop trying.

I would like to configure the logging software to poll the radio once
every X minutes, or maybe once every time I make a new log entry, which
would at least keep the scratch-scratch down to "once in a while" but I
haven't met much success with that, either.

My radio is in Tennessee right now for repair and service - I didn't think
to ask them if they could fix the serial related scratch. ;)  It seemed
like there wasn't much of anything to do.

-Tom
ke7vux