[TenTec] receiver specifications ---Eagle

CSM(r) Gary Huber glhuber at msn.com
Fri Dec 17 15:04:19 PST 2010

In casual operation you probably cannot tell the difference is the simple answer.  In a pile-up you may be able to tell the difference.

In a couple of recent contests I have been able to compare a FLEX-1500 to a OMNI-VII. The FLEX is configured as a sub-receiver of the OMNI-VII using the N4PY mod and the audio of both radios is run from a NCS Multi-Switcher into an AOR TDF-370 and Heil Quiet Pro. To my ears and eyes (using the FLEX-1500 as a panadapter) the OMNI-VII is the better radio in all but the following situation; single signal at –125 dBm or less with a noise floor at –135 to –140 dBm.

With the NCS Multi-Switcher, I am able to set the audio output levels of both radios to optimum (ear-ball match)  and quickly switch between the two trying for a better signal solution.
The FLEX-1500 does have a more receiver / audio controls (using PowerSDR 2.0) which give it a slight advantage with a single, very weak signal. In crowded band conditions, the OMNI-VII is able to demodulate an intelligible SSB signal with a 10 – 15 dB stronger signal immediately above and below, while the FLEX doesn’t do as well, at least to my ears.

73 es DX,

Gary - AB9M