[TenTec] "The End of Ten-Tec" (Yeah, Right)

Rick - NJ0IP / DJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Fri Dec 17 16:59:55 PST 2010

To be fair Gus, Jack and Al founded the company together; Al as the manager
and Jack as the chief engineer.
Jack has definitely NOT retired, but he has pulled out of running the day to
day business, and now spends most of his time in the lab, not in an office.

He still comes to work regularly but does not necessarily work a 40 hour
week.
He is VERY active with the development of the Eagle, as he was with the
Scout.
He uses what he builds, especially the Scout and the Eagle.
He even monitors this forum (hi Jack)!
He's a trooper and an icon of our industry (as was Al).

In my opinion, Ten-Tec is the result of these two men together, not just Al.
I hold the utmost respect for Al.
About 40 years ago, he rescued the CQWW DX contest.

CQ magazine wanted to kill it, because it was not lucrative.
Al jumped in, put money in, and campaigned to find a group of other selected
hams to run the contest.
And so the contest lived on.
A few years later, CQ magazine took the ownership back and still run it to
this day.
If not for Al, we might have lost my favorite contest before I ever
participated in it.

Al kept his CW skeds up until the day he died.
He was still copying cw in his head, but needed help (near the end) with
keying.
He was REALLY a trooper!

73
Rick