[TenTec] DX PRO 777 HEADSET STEREO

Richards jruing at ameritech.net
Sat Dec 18 21:43:11 PST 2010

I doubt they are not "in house.   Comparing them to the new Heil Premium
headset, one might reach the conclusion they were made in the same
plant, from the same parts, although I suspect the the mic elements are
different.    Also,  when I toured the plant in Sevierville, and I did
not see enough plastic molds to do the job.   I would love to know the
manufacturing background and learn whether and just how coincidental
they bear such a resemblance to the Heil units....  Hmmm...  We probably
will never know.

The TT set compares well against other sets costing about $100-$125.

Comfort --
I purchased the Model 777 headset.  They are reasonably comfortable, and
rather well built.   They have one of the most robust, heavy duty
microphone boom arms I have ever encountered - and I have been a product
tester for computer and similar headsets for speech recognition vendors
for more than a decade.   Overall construction is sturdy and durable.

My comfort rating :    7.5 of 10 compared to  a set of AudioTechnica
BPHS-1, or Shure SM-2 headsets, which I rate  9.0  or higher, but these
other units cost double the TT set.  I think the Model 777 is equally
comfortable as the popular Yamaha C-500.   Just about any set of cans
with closed cups will eventually feel uncomfortable over time, but the
TT set is better than most. if you hunker down for a long session.

Sound Quality --
The microphone element compares well to sets costing the same or more,
and worked well on my Omni VII.    I can send you a sound file comparing
it to other microphones, if you are curious how it sounds.    The
earphone receivers were of average to good quality, but we are not
talking about stereo hi-fi  and they only need to play between 1800 and
3000 Hz audio frequency response - so they have sufficient inherent
frequency response to be linear across, and well beyond, the speech
audio frequency spectrum.   Overall, good sound with nothing to complain
about.   Sound isolation from the closed earphone cups is moderate to
substantial - I estimate about 15 dB - which substantially reduces
ambient room noise from amp and power supply cooling fans, and you may
not hear the XYL calling you for dinner,  depending on how well her
voice carries.

I sold mine, only because I prefer the two other sets mentioned above
along with the Sennheiser HMD-45-6 headset/mic  which is much lighter
weight and has open air earphone receivers, and not because the TT Model
777 set was not a good product.

Just MY take.   Your mileage may vary.

On 12/18/2010 9:36 PM, steve jobes wrote:

> Just wondering how satisfied users are with these headsets-comfort,quality-sound.

Does anyone know who is making these for TenTec or are they made in house?