[TenTec] New and Improved Terminology

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson geraldj at weather.net
Thu Dec 30 21:13:22 PST 2010

Searching the internet has proven useless. All the modern links say it
was used by the German military during WW2, but it never says when it
began to be called NVIS. I saw a couple references to Pat Hawker's
Technical Topics on NVIS and I have the complete antenna collection that
I'll browse for some history.

80s sounds like when the name was invented. I recall commenting at a
radio club meeting when the topic of NVIS was announced that we'd been
doing that for eons, so what's new? The name I guess.

My dad and I started out with a 40m vertical in '55 for our novice
station. After I moved away from home I had a 10m beam and a short 80
meter wire that worked home quite well. Later I got up longer wires but
not very high. When I raised the middle of the 80 meter double extended
zepp to 55 feet, it worked home OK but not as great as when it was at 30
feet end to end.

73, Jerry, K0CQ