[TenTec] New and Improved Terminology/Gnded tip on whip ant.

Rick - NJ0IP / DJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Fri Dec 31 14:18:35 PST 2010

Bill,

I suspect the 6dB increase in gain was due to the horizontal component
radiated when the antenna was bent over, not because it was grounded.

Being in Signal Corps and stationed in Berlin, I can tell you the main
reason we had our whips bent over was to keep them out of the high voltage
lines of the street cars!

What I taught the guys to do when they wanted more reliable communications
was to find a place to stop, about 30 ft. from a tree, remove the top two
sections of the whip, and screw in the whip-to-wire adapter, then string a
horizontal wire.
The inverted-L significantly outperformed the whip.

Actually the inverted ought to be the antenna of choice for many people,
because it has a vertical component for DX and a horizontal component for
NVIS.
Most people have forgotten (or never knew) how well this antenna can
perform.

73
Rick