[TenTec] New and Improved Terminology

CSM(r) Gary Huber glhuber at msn.com
Fri Dec 31 19:36:45 PST 2010

Jerry, I quoted from a recent revision of FM 24-18 (my hard copy is dated 13 December 1984)  but I do recall a TC (training circular) released between December 76 and mid 1980 while I had unit training NCO or Battalion Communications NCO responsibilities which discussed the NVIS antenna and its use in Vietnam.

Information on the AS-2259/GR NVIS antenna can be found at http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/24-19/Ch3.htm ;
1. requires 84’ by 84’ area for inverted vee guys on 42’ center support – in practice shorter vertical support can be used
2. provides 0-300 mile radius NVIS communications (actually greater range is usual) over 2 – 30 MHz.

http://www.prc68.com/I/AS2259.shtml  provides a wealth of information including pictures and links on NVIS, antennas used, etc.

73 es DX,

Gary - AB9M