[TenTec] Old vs New = crunch time

CSM(r) Gary Huber - AB9M glhuber at msn.com
Wed Feb 3 05:55:01 PST 2010

Roger,

I have both a OMNI VI Plus and a Corsair II and have owned an OMNI D and a Paragon (all purchased new). Of the lot I'd recommend the Corsair II as the radio meeting your needs and expectations. Add the external VFO and you have dual receive and an analog VFO readout. I believe every electrical part or a substitute can be found, and the mechanicals are fairly simple. The Corsair II is a pure analog radio except for its frequency counter driven frequency display. Its pretty much what you see is what you get and the only draw back is the lack of radio control interface for computer aided DXing and Contesting.

The OMNI VI Plus on the other hand is a very complex radio and the logic board is not (presently) an available replacement item, so while I really like my OMNI, I wouldn't advocate it as a "simple" radio for your applications.

Best regards,

CSM(r) Gary Huber - AB9M
9679 Heron Bay Rd
Bloomington, IL 61705