[TenTec] High speed washer hum/whine

Ken Brown ken.d.brown at hawaiiantel.net
Thu Feb 4 21:45:00 PST 2010

> Article 210.11(c)(2) requires a residential laundry room to have a dedicated
> 20A branch circuit feeding exactly one receptacle.
Yes, and that is one of the few reasons they still sell single outlet (not duplex) fixtures and cover plates.

> Back to a bit more on-topic discussion -- If pulling a new branch circuit
> into your shack for amp service, make an effort to pull 4-wire cabling if
> you even think of using some of the older amps.

I personally would never run just three wires for a 240 VAC outlet in my
home. I always include a ground wire and a neutral wire, for a total of
four wires dedicated to that one 240 VAC outlet. Running all four wires
gives you more versatility. You could convert the run to supply a couple
of 120 V circuits, you could use older 240 VAC equipment that requires
the neutral wire (and a four conductor outlet) to run some 120 VAC loads
inside, or you can run new UL approved equipment using just the two hots
and a ground.

My Titan 425 and my Hercules II each have their own dedicated three
conductor outlets and double pole breakers. Each of those circuits also
has a neutral wire running all the way to the outlet box, with a wire
nut on the end and nothing connected to it. If I want to use the neutral
in the future it is already there. Neither the Titan or the Hercules use
a neutral wire, and they and their service outlets are all safe and up
to present day code. (The only exception would be if there is a
prohibition against running a neutral wire and  not using it. I believe
there are some rules about removal of abandoned wires when upgrades are
made. )

DE N6KB