[TenTec] Problem with Orion 2 driving an Ameritron 811H Linear

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson geraldj at weather.net
Mon Feb 8 17:13:41 PST 2010

On Mon, 2010-02-08 at 19:46 -0500, Tom wrote:
> I am using an Ameritron 811H. If I use anymore drive power the linear meter
> current readings are right near the Red Line areas.

Try tuning the amp for maximum output, and mostly ignoring the current
readings. Its easy to tune a grounded grid linear for DC readings and
not get a whole lot of power. The worst example I've ever seen was a
Henry 2K3 putting out 200 watts with 100 watts (peak) drive. After I
tuned it for maximum out I had to back off the drive to get down to 1500
watts out and the DC readings were the same. The change was noticed in
Nam the next day just by the improved signal on a MARS phone patch link.

Now are you looking at average or peak power? Average sometimes is
thought of as talk power, but it depends a great deal on the relative
phase responses of the microphones, filters, and voices and where the
various tones in the output line up to make peaks or not. Its really
only valid to compare peak powers in SSB voice without having a
standardized set of microphone, filter, and voice.

> Tom

73, Jerry, K0CQ