[TenTec] TT Centurion AMP failure

Carter k8vt at ameritech.net
Thu Feb 18 05:16:55 PST 2010

Doyle wrote:
>  Help, Was operating RTTY when my Centurion Amp quit working.  The
>  symptom is that it shows 200 Ma Even in the Stnby position the plate
>  current is 200 Ma & the tubes are moderately red.  The tubes are only
>  a year old.  Any idea what might have happened?  Looks like a trip a
>  trip to TT. Anyone with a Centurion Amp have this symptom? Thanks,

My vote is for the "Filament-AC" board (81537). Not too descriptive a
name, but this is the board that provides the bias. The clue seems to be
plate current in the standby position.

You do not mention how old your amp is. This has been a common problem
and TT has gone through at least two revisions/updates to this board; a
few years ago, they were up to revision C, so if you have an earlier
radio, you probably do not have the updated board.

It's OK to take it to TT as you are geographically close (hard to ship
due to the weight), but this board replacement is easily done at home.

If you do it yourself, PLEASE USE EXTREME CAUTION. DEADLY VOLTAGES INSIDE.

If you are at all uncomfortable working on it yourself, by all means,
take it to TT.

Good luck and let us know the final outcome.

73,
Carter  K8VT