[TenTec] herc 444 amp

k8bbm at srt.com k8bbm at srt.com
Fri Feb 19 06:58:41 PST 2010

thanks, Doug, appreciate the note, dave
----- Original Message -----
From: Douglas <sparks06524 at yahoo.com>
To: tentec at contesting.com
Sent: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 23:37:00 -0600 (CST)
Subject: Re: [TenTec] herc 444 amp

> Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 07:46:01 -0600 (CST)
> From: k8bbm at srt.com
> Subject: [TenTec] herc 444 amp
> To: tentec at contesting.com
>
> hi, my good old workhorse died.... the stepping motor died,
> control board won't let me manually bandswitch....
> other than finding a motor, anybody have suggestions on
> disabling control circuitry so amp can be manually
> switched/used?
> thanks
> Dave K8BBM

Disabling the control circuitry won't help too much. You'll still have to remove the defective stepper assembly and find a way to turn the bandswitch, unless the circuitry is bad and the motor is really OK.
If that's the case, fix the circuit.

Assuming that the mechanical stepper assembly really is bad, an example of a "repair" is in a parts unit that I have where someone pulled the stepper, drilled the front panel and mounted a shaft/knob through the front panel into the bandswitch. It's crude but it is a way to do it.

Fortunately the stepper on my operating 444 is still good. I'd look for a replacement before I hacked the rig.

All Electronics Corp has a variety of stepper motors in their catalog. When I checked, they had 26 different types. One or more should be adaptable. You'll need to figure out the aprox number of rotational degrees per step and the operating voltage of the motor. Degrees per step might not be critical. Until it's satisfied the system will keep rotating the stepper until the activation signal is cancelled by a contact match.

73,

Doug/WA1TUT