[TenTec] Orion RIT encoder

Martin Ewing martin.s.ewing at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 18:56:39 PST 2010

I received the following from Paul at TenTec in July '08.  I manipulated the
J8 connector (straightened the pins and sanded them a bit - even though I
could see nothing wrong).  That seems to have cured the problem for me.
----------------------

Orion Intermittent RIT

Some Orion owners have complained about an intermittent RIT control. Ten-Tec
Service has never been able to confirm an intermittent RIT control on the
repair bench. An Orion owner has reported that he has solved the
intermittent RIT in his Orion. The Orion owner believes the intermittent RIT
is caused by bent pins on the logic board.

The fix is as follows:

   1.

   Please refer to: *
   http://www.rfsquared.com/index.php?s=file_download&id=22* Beginning with
   STEP 1, Disassemble the Orion and stop when STEP 8 is completed.
   2.

   Locate J8 on the logic board. J8 is located near the edge of the logic
   board between one of the ribbon cables and the 2 large chokes that are near
   one edge of the board. Pin one is closest to the edge of the board and is
   marked with a number 1 silk screened on the board. Locate pins 11 & 12 by
   counting pins beginning with pin 1.
   3.

   Check the alignment of pins 11 & 12. If Pins 11 & 12 are not aligned with
   remaining pins in J8, gently bend the pins toward the edge of the board
   until pins are aligned.
   4.

   Again refer to *http://www.rfsquared.com/index.php?s=file_download&id=2*.
   Reassemble the Orion by beginning at STEP 13.

------------------

I hope the file comes through OK.  If not, I will forward it to you directly
on request.

73 Martin AA6E

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 9:49 PM, Ron Castro <ronc at sonic.net> wrote:

> Barry:
>
> The connector that has been mentioned that caused the problem can be seen
> in
> the picture on page 4 of the Orion (565) V2 Logic Mod.  It's the connector
> marked A.  I checked the straightness of all of the pins and slightly bent
> the ones the original post mentioned but found the 'fix' only worked for a
> short time.  I opened the radio again and found a connector on the same
> board that was not connected to a ribbon cable, but rather connected two
> board together.  I very carefully 'massaged' the boards to exercise the
> connector pins and that fixed the problem for good!  It's probably been a
> year since I did that and no further problems.
>

>            Ron  N6IE
>       www.N6IE.com

Dr. Martin S. Ewing, AA6E
Member IEEE, URSI, AAS, ARRL