[TenTec] Argonaut V gain help

Bill Harris w7kxb at msn.com
Mon Jan 4 19:07:50 PST 2010

Gil:
I find that running with the atten. on, turns off the pre amp, which works
fine for everything below 17 or 20 meters.
And YES, this rig has a LOT of gain and I find it's not normally necessary
for the lower bands.  However, there are times when use of the pre amp will
help out on a weak signal, depending on your noise environment.
The receiver takes some getting use too.  The high back ground noise will
drive you nuts and the only way I know of reducing it is to turn off the
pre-amp.
I also added an optional speaker. The SGC ASDP2.  Wow, what a difference.
Great on noise reduction and the bandwidth control seems sharper than the
516 offers.
TT didn't incorporate an RF control, but if the one on my O1 is any
indication on what they could come up with, I'm not impressed.  It reduces
the signal but not the noise. (AGC off)
I come from the old school where, on CW, you run with no AVC/AGC and ride
the RF control.  "Works fine, lasts a long time."  You can do that on the
K3, but that's another story.
Still, I enjoy operating the 516, but it took a little getting use too.
2's
Bill Harris/w7kxb