[TenTec] herc 444

Jim Brown K9YC k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sun Jan 10 09:56:39 PST 2010

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 06:23:52 -0600 (CST), k8bbm at srt.com wrote:

>any suggestions?
>maybe tentec still would service even if they no longer have finals

1) VERY unlikely.

2) VERY EXPENSIVE.

3) Ten Tec rigs of that vintage are fairly easy to work on. All the
circuitry is no boards that you can take out and work on, the
circuitry is all discrete transistors and diodes, and the drawings
are pretty complete. I never worked on my Herc 444 (which I recently
sold), but I've worked on my three Titan 425s. There's not much in
them that you can't test with a Simpson 260, and the semiconductors
(or suitable replacements) are in the junkboxes of most hams that
have a workbench. If you don't have them, check out the Halted
website.

73,

Jim K9YC