[TenTec] How well is a Scout on SSB?

Stuart Rohre rohre at arlut.utexas.edu
Mon Jan 11 16:04:15 PST 2010

I have always had good reports on SSB on my Scout.

The drift problem was a non problem if hams just read the manual and
were not CW speed addicts.  I never could send as fast as they said it
caused the CW problem so a non issue here.

I did find that Scouts don't like to run a battery that is only capable
of 11 volts, one year at Field Day.  Then, it did drift on SSB, but it
was entirely the fault of the discharged battery.  Putting a fully
charged one on the rig fixed everything.  The limit was because of the
input to output differential needed by the model voltage regulator
chip.  Most standard ones need a 2 volt differential or so.  I was going
to see if a low drop out regulator could be found to fit the board, but
never got time to pursue that mod.  There were some capacitor changes
that improved the CW issue, at high speeds. They are in the archives of
QRP-L reflector, if not also in Ten Tec list archives.

73,
Stuart
K5KVH