[TenTec] Omni VII - S-meter reading lower in 6k/2600 than 2.5k/2500

Jay Lyle jaylyle at mac.com
Sat Jul 17 17:22:36 PDT 2010

Dr. Johnson,

Thank you for the explainiation.  I know very little about DSP filtering but
I can picture the "granularity" of the readings.  If I'm understanding
correctly, due to digital bit "quantization", and the order of how many bits
are used, this may affect the compensation of the filter loss.

S-unit difference might not actually be 6 db; I could below the point where
the s-unit is changing to the next bar.  This means that there might
actually be a 2 db difference which is probably whithin spec.  My measuring
device, the s-meter, just doesn't have the precision to measure properly.

Am I understanding this?

I ran a test under a more controlled environment by using another
transmitter into a dummy load.

There is a repeatable 1 S-Unit difference at the lower s-unit range (like
s-5)... but at a higher level the effect is not seen.

I'll call TT on Monday anyways to see if they think something is wrong.

What makes me wonder is that I hadn't seen this effect in the 1.5 years of
ownership.

73,

Jay