[TenTec] ARGO V (516) Mobile

Rsoifer at aol.com Rsoifer at aol.com
Mon Jul 26 08:42:27 PDT 2010

My Argo V spends most of its time these days as the driver of my 1208
transverter -- much safer for the 1208 than trying to drive it with a 100-watt
radio.  However, I've had good results operating the Argo V portable with
an Outbacker Outreach, mostly on 20 and 30 meters.  It works well on RTTY  as
well as CW.

73 Ray W2RS

In a message dated 7/26/2010 11:12:23 A.M. GMT Standard Time,
Jliving39 at aol.com writes

Folks,
Nice mobile combo is an ARGO V and a  4 1/2 foot  base loaded MFJ whip
(MFJ 2620T).  This whip tunes  almost 1:1 w/o a  tuner.  I put the whip on
magnet and stuck  it on top of the  Explorer.  Did have to find a good
ground
inside the vehicle to run to the  rig.  Does require a little  tweaking to
get swr where you want it  obviously.  Mine is set  for lower 20 meter cw
area
of band.  Running  the ARGO V at a  max of 20 watts with this whip do get
many 599 reports on cw on   20.  This is a nice combo for someone wanting
try mobile,  especially  cw.  Used a SCOUT for years at about 25 wattts
mobile
and it worked well on  ssb, but on cw a little more difficult than  the
ARGO
V with nets due to  difference in send and receive  frequencies.  The ARGO
is stable as a rock  even in hot  environment of a car in summer.  The
short
whip is nice because   you can run fast and work cw same time and not worry
about trees,  etc.  A  hustler resonator with the standard mast works a
little
better, but does tend to  seek out trees and other low objects.   You can
have a lot of fun with the  county hunter net and a low  powered rig
especially
on 20 cw.  Simple is  good.  Hostile  and Mobile.
Jim,  K4CFA
TenTec mailing  list
TenTec at contesting.com