[TenTec] Centurion 422B

Amos Favorite w5sjl at msn.com
Wed Jun 9 11:34:39 PDT 2010

When it pops, your smoke is leaking out, the fan is blowing it out the side, you want to keep all of your smoke in.

Turn it off, let the HV supply bleed down.
Remove the cover, lots of screws, save them.
If you do not trust the interlock to bleed the filters down completely do the screw driver across the top of the plate choke to ground.
Look for the arch path it will be in the high voltage circuit from the Plate coil across the top of the tubes and the load and tune variables.
Thank God it is not a Kenwood, SB-220 or other weak HV supplies, the unit would be (SK).

Clean the dust, it may be micro dust, blow with can air, use a small brush, use patience and TLC it is precious.

Clean the carbon trail, you should be able to see the black spot, electric motor clener, do not get it on the polymer parts.

Look for loose HV connections, check all of them.

Change the bad pilot lamps, the black ones.

Reinstall the cover, all of the screws go back in.

Turn it on and make it should not be poping anylonger talk at full 1300 watts out.

If the poping continue, look for the site of the short circuit to ground, may even be the 240 VAC side of the transformer.

73's Amos