[TenTec] Titan III screen current question.....

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson geraldj at weather.net
Thu Mar 11 18:39:32 PST 2010

The TT manual that I downloaded only identifies the lamps on the
schematic and shows them separate from the meter and the meter wiring.
The lamps are hard wired to the 12 volt supply but the meters plug into
the meter switch board A12.

Tiny 12 volt lamps can be had in hobby shops for train lighting or for
scale doll house lighting as well as sometimes at Radio Shack. Many
different 12 volt lamps in tiny packages can be bought from Mouser and
Digi-Key.

Its worth selecting a lamp with a long rated lifetime, though that will
reduce its illumination efficiency.

It can also be worth dropping the supply voltage about 10% with a series
resistor which will also lengthen the life by lowering the operating
temperature and limiting the lamp surge current. A typical incandescent
lamp's cold resistance is in the range of 15 to 16 times lower than its
operating resistance. So a lamp rated to draw 100 milliamps will draw at
least 1.5 amps the instant its connected, unless the external circuit
limits that current, and nearly all incandescent lamp failures seem to
be at power on.

So if that 100 mil rated lamp at 12 volts had a 12 ohm series resistor
the peak surge current would be limited to about 0.6 amp. And the 10%
drop in operating voltage would quadruple the lamp life. Rule of thumb
from a GE lamp book years ago is that a 5% change in lamp voltage causes
a 10% change in light output and if going down in voltage a doubling of
life or if going up, halfing the life.

73, Jerry, K0CQ