[TenTec] power supplies

Phil Sussman psussman at pactor.com
Sat Mar 13 14:31:05 PST 2010

Typically switching power supplies are much cheaper to produce and
weigh less (due to the lack of that heavy transformer). Unfortunately,
the 'switchers' actually produce more noise (including harmonics), but
are easier to filter.

Older supplies (in my opinion) are less immune to fluctuations in input
with respect to surges and spikes. However, the older units tend to
pull more current and are less efficient than their newer cousins. Also,
their regulation can be sluggish and prone to output transistor overload
failures.

>From the noise point of view, filtering older units is a lower frequency
problem whereas newer switchers have higher harmonic output.

In reality; however, both should work without problems unless abused or
overloaded.

Good luck!

73 de Phil - N8PS