[TenTec] Amp Hot Switching Prevention

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson geraldj at weather.net
Mon Mar 22 17:57:37 PDT 2010

I can think of at least a couple solutions. One is to create a high
external ALC voltage that decays 50 milliseconds after PTT arrives. It
might be possible in some software to delay the tones, but I suspect the
rig blaster can be creating PTT from the presence of the tone. It might
need a different option to separate the sources of tone and PTT.

The box cure is to look up W1GHZ.com and his sequencer. This is a
standard problem at VHF and microwaves with transverters and such.
Typically a sequencer (and there have been several schematics published
in QEX and proceedings of VHF conferences and Microwave Update
Conferences over the past two decades), is started by the external PTT
which then switches the antenna relay, then after a selected wait, keys
the PA, then the transverter, then after all the relays have seated it
applies PTT to the exciter. Does it in reverse to go back to receive so
no relays get keyed hot, no exciter power hits a delicate tranverter or
antenna mounted preamp.

Last I knew, WA3IAC sold kits for the W1GHZ sequencer kit. Direct or on
epay. I bought one last year that I've not yet used, but I will probably
need more in time.

Links:
http://www.w1ghz.org/small_proj/sequencer_V2.pdf

http://www.qsl.net/wa3iac/kits/

Or one can install auxiliary contacts (such as a microswitch) on the PA
relays and wire them in series with the PTT signal from the rig blaster
so the PA relays have to seat before connecting PTT to the exciter.
Since the PA was built without provisions for those controlling
contacts, the timed sequencer is what works.

73, Jerry, K0CQ