[TenTec] Yamaha CM-500

Richards jruing at ameritech.net
Mon Mar 22 18:43:58 PDT 2010

Point well taken... and yet I ask a reprieve on that aspect
of the game for this one item.

I observe that not all of us are equally skilled or equipped in
the Solder-it-Yourself-Department.   In my case, I can do it,
and have wired various custom headset connectors - BUT
I ordered them on very short notice after being asked to join
a contest team and not knowing what rig brand or model
transceiver we would be using.   I am kinda funny, as I wanted
to use my own headset - mostly because I sometimes perspire
under the rubber headset rings, and did this as a courtesy to
the others and to save my embarrassment from having to
pass a sweaty headset to the next operator ... yuck.)

BUT YOU MIGHT BE PROUD OF ME... FOR, doing these do-it-yourself projects
in just the past few months.

1) TWICE making internal repairs to a used Yaesu FT-2800
        transceiver - including replacing various broken jacks, and
	replacing the toasted final transistors and other parts - I
	had a local ham teach me how to use his bench equipment
	so I did it myself, with him looking over my shoulder.
	He was a good teacher but allowed me to do the work
	so I would learn

2)   Building a small amp circuit at a QRP seminar during the
	QRP convention (FDIM during Dayton hamfest)  and
	winning a prize because mine tested better than
	all the others in the seminar  (I won a $5 multimeter
	which I prize for its sentimental value....)

3)   building a code practice oscillator - and finding two mistakes in
        the instruction plans - which was somewhat gratifying as I
	am, indeed, a rookie at this sort of thing.

4)   building the TenTec 9-band regenerative receiver (yes, it works!)

5)   Buying the cable prep tools from DX-Engineering and replacing
	all cables and connectors in the shack with custom made
	jumpers and cables using really heavy duty cable and high
	quality connectors

6)    building the rather complex (I think) TenTec Model 1254
	double-conversion HF receiver (in progress)

7)   Making my own PTT switches in little project boxes and
        making dozens of custom made audio and  control cables

8)   assembling and finishing the Black Widow CW paddle kit

9)   wiring various specialized connectors on multiple
	high end headsets to work with the rig and accessories

10)   Concocting a home brew switch box system to add in\
	or subtract various audio sources in and among the
	transceiver and various sound processing equipment
	like an equalizer, Timewave DSP-599zx, studio monitors,
	and computer recording inputs.

11)   Replaced all incoming feed line pass through grommets
        with a system of grounded bulkhead connectors that
	even the wife thinks looks good

12)    Built various home brew antennas and masts to hang
	them from

Also, I am currently working on a large patch panel for antenna
connections and cable routing in the shack.  MFJ makes, one
but I am working on my own.

Consequently I think it was OK to buy a few pre-made connectors
when in a hurry...   n'est ce pas?