[TenTec] Surge protectors and fuse blowing

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson geraldj at weather.net
Tue Mar 23 23:13:16 PDT 2010

A MOV is far more effective if its located on the line side of any RFI
filtering. That's because the the LC RFI filter acts like an integrator
and slows the rate of rise and fall of the fast spike, but passes nearly
all of the energy at a lower voltage, with a longer duration. And the
lowered voltage makes the internal MOV less effective. So a device with
RFI filter at the power inlet connector isn't protected as well by any
internal MOV.

73, Jerry, K0CQ