[TenTec] Slave radios?

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson geraldj at weather.net
Wed Mar 24 09:00:36 PDT 2010

On 3/24/2010 9:21 AM, John Rippey wrote:
> I'm wondering whether it would be feasible to use two OMNI VIIs in tandem, one at home, one at a semi-permanent remote site, using the internet capabilities of the rigs?

In theory it would be possible, except the code I don't think is written
that way. There are a couple things unique about the OMNI VII remote,
one is that its ethernet and the other is that audio in and out use that
same ethernet connection. Though likely a different URL. You can get the
same remote control results with most any radio with RS-232 or USB
remote (if there is any USB) but you need a separate box to handle the
audio. There are a number of ethernet to RS-232 boxes on the market and
in semiconductor maker applications notes. But none of them do audio
directly. Some do multiple RS-232 ports at high enough speed that one
port could go to a CODEC for audio in and out and the other could be
slowed down and buffered to go to the radio control port.

> The advantage is obvious: at home, you'd get to twirl real knobs and push real buttons instead of the ersatz (and to me very unattractive) image you get on a computer screen.

You could build up a box connected to your home computer to do all those
with the existing software and neglect to look at the PC screen. It
would be simpler than a full blown OMNI VII, though maybe not cheaper
because all the rotary dials would be encoders rather than pots and
encoders tend to be more expensive than pots. The PC remote program
would have to be written to look at the encoders and switches, and there
is enough information on the OMNI VII to allow creating your own remote
control program, if you can write programs.
> Comments appreciated.
>
> John, W3ULS

  73, Jerry, K0CQ