[TenTec] Scout 555 MIC Gain Question...

Ron Zond k3miy at csonline.net
Fri Mar 26 18:20:21 PDT 2010

Ben

Mic gain should be at 12 o clock.
I think the rig needs to be repaired.

Ron
K3MIY

-----Original Message-----
From: tentec-bounces at contesting.com
[mailto:tentec-bounces at contesting.com]On Behalf Of Ben Hall
Sent: Friday, March 26, 2010 8:07 PM
To: tentec at contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Scout 555 MIC Gain Question...

Good evening all!

I inherited a Ten-Tec Scout 555 transceiver from my father-in-law.  He
regularly used it on 20 and 40 mobile before he passed away, so I
believe it is in good working order.

Certainly, the receiver on it seems to work great!

The manual notes to turn up the MIC gain until the ALC light flashes on
voice peaks.  With the standard Ten-Tec hand-held microphone, I have to
have the MIC gain all the way up and then speak extremely loudly (enough
to irritate the XYL in the other room!) to get the ALC light to flicker
on voice peaks.

Even though my father-in-law used this regularly, I wondered if perhaps
the MIC was going bad.  So, I connected up a Ten-Tec model 705
desk-style microphone.  I get the same behavior - need to speak very
loudly with the mic gain all the way up to get the ALC light to flicker
on voice peaks.

So my question is this - is this normal behavior for a Scout, or do I
need to open it up and see if something is goofy in the audio input
circuitry around U6-B?

thanks much and 73,
ben, kd5byb
--