[TenTec] Airpax

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson geraldj at weather.net
Mon May 10 22:53:36 PDT 2010

There used to be specification on the Tentec web pages or the Corsair
manual. I've moved mine and its not handy at the moment. Primarily its a
20 amp Airpax magnetic breaker with no time delay and rated for DC.

Specs posted to this forum in 2006 said:
> In the data sheet for the TEN-TEC Model 1140 Magnetic Circuit Breaker is the
> following:
> (the 1140) "is a special fast-acting magnetic circuit breaker which trips
> between 10 and 20 milliseconds, typically.
>
> In the section of same data sheet, under "Specifications" appear:
> Model: 1140         Operating Rating: 18 amps        Trip Rating: 24.9 amps
>
> Regards,
> Mike N4NT

In that discussion I posted:
> K0CQ:
>  >The 25 amp fuse is too insensitive for PA protection. Neither it nor a
> 25 amp breaker are likely to trip at less than 125% which they should
> hold indefinitely, that's 31.25 amps. That's why I use a 15 amp fuse to
> protect my Corsair II and it has so far. It seems to be as effective as
> the Airpax which I don't have. That 15 amp fuse from a reputable
> manufacturer (I use nothing but Buss fuses, no off shore products) seems
> to be fast and sensitive enough.

The standard breaker specified by TenTec is:
>>         We need an Air Pax T11-1-20.0A-01-11C-V and the
>> website to order is:
>>
>> http://www.pocosales.com/Airpax.htm

And I posted back then:
>> Note that some of the portions of this part number are for mounting
>> hardware and handle color and there could be more than half a dozen
>> useful variations. You can find those variations on the pocosales web
>> page too.

Though there are other airpax packages and mounts that meet the same
minimum time delay specifications. And I believe the fuse that I use is
as fast because I'm running the fuse current above the ratings, based on
comparing the fuse and airpax breaker interrupt curves. I know I've
blown two or three fuses on my Corsair II supply line, when tuning an
antenna tuner and getting too far off resonance. I use the 15 amp ATC
fuse from Buss.

Where or whether such breakers can be bought today, I don't know.

73, Jerry, K0CQ