[TenTec] Delta 580 for Young Ham

Darrell Bellerive drbellerive.va7to at gmail.com
Wed May 12 10:12:25 PDT 2010

My grandson has taken an interest in my ham radio activities and would
like to become a ham.

In my search for a good radio for him to listen to the bands, I have
decided that a Ten-Tec Delta 580 would be a great starter rig. Coverage
of all the bands from 160 to 10, and a simple user interface. So I am in
search of one for him.

I am curious as to the standard configuration of the radio, and what
options were available. From what I have been able to find with my web
searching, it appears the radio was complete except for IF filters. What
filters were included in the base radio and what are the optional filters?

Also was there a matching speaker?

I see the model 280 was the power supply. Does this have a fast acting
circuit breaker built in? If we use a regular power supply, what circuit
breaker should be used?

I see the remote VFO is a model 283. Does this allow dual receive like
the Corsairs series?

I will modify the Delta to disable the transmitter until he has his
licence, and may also disable 80 and 20 meters, and perhaps 10 meters as
well, so that he is not exposed to the few lids and intruders that young
ears should not hear. He is only 7 years old, and his brother is 3.

There is a high school ham radio club in his home town of Spokane, and
they hold a nightly net on two meters, so I will set up a 2 channel
Motorola mobile I have so he can listen to that as well.

Any info on what to look for in a Delta 580 would be appreciated. What
are common problems, etc.

Also, being from Canada, I am not well versed in the US licence study
materials. What would be a good study manual for a youngster to get his
technician licence? I suspect at his age it may take a while until he is
ready to take a test. I see that there are some hams in the US licenced
at age 8, so perhaps he will also be one of them.

Thanks in advance es 73,
Darrell
VA7TO

--